The Science Behind CBD's Effectiveness for Sinusitis
It might seem like a nagging cold – you’re groggy, achy, and stuffed up. However, the cold medicine you’re taking just isn’t doing it because it could actually be sinusitis you’re dealing with. In fact, sinusitis is quite common and almost 30 million US residents were diagnosed with it in 2018.
WIth cannabidiol being a popular treatment for many health and wellness issues, you may be wondering if CBD is a possible treatment. Continue reading to get answers to common questions about sinusitis and the science behind CBD for sinusitis.
What is Sinusitis?
Your sinuses are the spaces inside your nose and head. They should be filled with air, but they can get filled with fluid or germs. When this happens, it can cause an infection known as sinusitis.
Sinusitis can be acute or chronic. Acute sinusitis typically seems like a cold and lasts for about 2 to 4 weeks. On the other hand, chronic sinusitis can last for up to a few months or longer.
Sinusitis can affect both adults and children. There are several risk factors that may lead to sinusitis.
- Swelling in the nose due to a common cold
- Seasonal allergies
- Blocked drainage ducts
- Nasal Polyps (growths in the nose)
- A weakened immune system
Some symptoms may seem like a cold. Symptoms vary depending on how severe your sinusitis is and how long it lasts.
- Green or yellow nasal discharge
- Postnasal drip (runs down the back of the throat)
- Runny nose
- Facial pain or pressure
- Reduced or loss of smell
- Difficulty breathing
- Bad breath
Can CBD Help Relieve Some of The Symptoms Associated with Sinusitis?
CBD oil has become a popular treatment for many ailments. CBD treatments which are effective and safe are FDA-approved. While CBD is not a cure for sinusitis, it can work to alleviate symptoms.
We know that CBD can help with nasal congestion, so how can it help with sinusitis? CBD can work to relieve symptoms of sinusitis since it's known to decrease inflammation and help boost our overall wellness.
If the human endocannabinoid system (ECS) isn’t regulated properly, we can experience issues that cause conditions such as sinusitis. This is because something known as CB2 receptors, which are responsible for our immune cells, can be imbalanced. CBD, or cannabidiol, works to activate receptors in the body that balance out inflammatory responses and the immune system.
Check out what users have said about how BoomBoom CBD nasal inhalers have provided sinus relief:
Other Conventional Treatment Options for Sinusitis
Most of the time, sinusitis can be treated without prescription medicine. However, make sure you speak with a medical professional if symptoms are severe or persist.
Here are some common remedies for sinusitis symptoms:
- Nose rinsing: Use salt water or a saline solution to rinse and clean the nasal passages.
- Warm compress: A towel soaked with warm water or a heating pad can ease pain and swelling.
- Hydration: Drinking plenty of water can keep the mucus thin.
- Essential oils: Adding essential oils to a diffuser or using a nasal inhaler infused with essential oil can help clear your sinuses.
- Pain relief: Medications like ibuprofen can provide pain relief.
- Rest: Give your body a chance to recover and get plenty of rest and relaxation.
- Decongestant tablets and sprays: This can reduce swelling and drain your sinuses.
How to Use CBD for Sinuses
In addition to treating a sinus infection with home remedies, CBD for sinusitis can be a huge help. We’ve discussed how CBD can activate cb2 receptors to balance out your body’s processes including sinuses. So, how can you actually use CBD for sinuses?
The most effective way to use CBD for sinusitis is directly through your nose. However, you don't necessarily want to use the standard CBD tincture or spray to do this. Instead, a nasal inhaler could be the way to go.
BoomBoom created the world’s first CBD nasal inhaler. This all-natural blend of essential oil and active cannabinoids works to open up your airways to help you find sinus relief.
You can also use a CBD oil tincture and take it under the tongue or in a beverage. This method may not work to provide sinus relief as quickly as a nasal inhaler. However, it can work to balance out your endocannabinoid system and provide overall health and wellness benefits.
Since different products have different effects, you may want to try more than one. This is okay as long as you’re mindful of dosage. Various products have different strengths. Start small and increase dosage slowly over time to get the effects you’re looking for.
Nasal Inhaler vs. CBD Oil
As we mentioned, nasal inhalers are best for directly treating sinusitis symptoms. Topical solutions like CBD oils can also provide relief. The method you use depends on personal preferences and what you’re trying to target.
- Made with essential oil that provide a refreshed feeling and enhance breathing
- Has faster effects because it’s absorbed directly through the bloodstream from nasal tissue
- Helps with reducing inflammation and congestion
- Have a higher concentration of CBD to work more intensely
- Offer more benefits overtime
- Balance overall wellness (not specifically sinusitis issues)
Are There Side Effects of Using CBD for Sinusitis?
A common question about CBD products is whether or not it causes side effects. The last thing we want to experience when treating an ailment is more issues. The good news is that research has shown that there are low risks when using CBD oils.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that any product affects users differently. In any case, we recommend consulting with a medical professional prior to using CBD products or if you experience adverse side effects.
The type of CBD you use also plays a role in side effects. A high-quality broad-spectrum CBD oil (THC-free) is safe and doesn’t have many potential side effects. On the other hand, a full-spectrum CBD oil (which contains THC) can have psychoactive effects such as sedation and euphoria. With that said, studies have suggested that CBD can counteract the effects of THC.
How to Choose the Right CBD Product for You
In order to get the most of your CBD product, you want to ensure you’re choosing the right one for you. Here are some things to consider:
- Determine what you want to use it for.
- Purchase from a company that shares third-party lab testing results. This will show that necessary tests were run and show you important details about the product.
- Look at the dosage. If you’re new to CBD, start with a smaller dosage.
- Avoid products with unnatural additives and preservatives. Check the label to see the ingredients.
- Choose a broad-spectrum CBD product if you want to avoid THC.
Things to Remember
Sinusitis can show no symptoms or many of them. CBD can provide relief symptoms caused by inflammation and pain. Try treatments mentioned, monitor the results, and see what works best for you.
As with any medical condition, consult with a professional if symptoms are severe or persist.