Is CBD Effective in Treating Gout Pain in 2021?
As CBD has become more popular over the years, new studies are coming out to show the effects it can have on our bodies. Many people, including myself, use CBD to help boost their health and wellness. So, what about CBD for gout?
If you’re hoping to learn more about what gout is, if CBD can help, and how to take CBD for gout – you’re in the right place!
There’s a lot to know when it comes to gout symptoms and treatments and how CBD works in the body. Keep reading to learn all about gout and CBD.
What is Gout?
Gout is a common type of inflammatory arthritis that often affects one joint at a time. Usually, it occurs in the big toe but can also affect other toe joints, ankles, and knees. While gout usually affects areas around the feet, it could affect other joints like elbows and wrists.
- Joint pain: Pain can last briefly or for hours. Pain can be so severe that it can wake you up during the night.
- Persistent discomfort: Sometimes when the pain goes away, discomfort in the joints can linger for days or weeks.
- Tenderness: Affected joints can be tender to the touch.
- Swelling and redness: When joints become swollen and red, they can also feel warm.
- Limited motion: The range of motion in joints can decrease or diminish during gout flare-ups.
Gout symptoms can last anywhere from a couple of hours to weeks. If you have gout, you know it can become very uncomfortable when it flares up and can linger for days or weeks. Symptoms can also go away or go into remission for weeks, months, or even years. Continue reading to learn how you can treat symptoms.
What Causes Gout?
Gout occurs when the body experiences Hyperuricemia. When this happens, the uric acid levels in the blood increases. Usually, uric acid dissolves in the blood and passes through the kidneys. However, if levels get too high, it may not be able to dissolve as it should. Then, it can build up in your joints, fluids, and tissues.
These high uric acid levels don’t always cause symptoms. However, sharp, needle-like urate crystals form that can cause pain, inflammation, and swelling.
While anyone can experience gout, certain factors can increase the chance of Hyperuricemia.
- Gender and age: Men generally have lower uric acid levels than women; therefore, they experience gout more commonly. However, as women grow older, their uric acid levels increase so there is a chance of experiencing gout symptoms after menopause.
- Weight: If you’re overweight, your body can’t eliminate uric acid as easily as those who are at a healthy weight.
- Genetics: Sometimes people can develop gout simply because of heredity. If you have a family history of gout, you’re more than likely to develop it.
- Some medications: Certain medicines such as Aspirin or hypertension medications can increase uric acid levels.
- Medical conditions: Conditions including heart and kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and obesity can result in gout due to higher uric acid levels.
- Diet: Uric acid levels can be affected by food and alcohol. If you experience gout, it may help to eliminate or decrease intake of red meat, shellfish, sweet drinks (with fructose), and alcohol.
How Does CBD Work in the Body?
If you’re interested in CBD for gout, it’s important to understand how CBD works in the body. Our bodies have what’s called a human endocannabinoid system (ECS). Tiny receptors within the ECS regulate our bodies’ processes including issues caused by gout.
When we ingest CBD, or cannabinoids, CB1 and CB2 receptors in the body are activated to balance out these processes. Research has shown that cannabinoids can suppress inflammatory responses caused by gout or other conditions.
Does CBD Work in Relieving Pain Associated with Gout?
CBD is known for providing many therapeutic benefits including pain relief and reduced inflammation. It’s even been shown to relieve symptoms caused by Plantar Fasciitis. So, what about CBD for gout? While studies have not shown the direct effects of CBD on gout, there is some research that shows CBD can help causes and symptoms of gout.
This study examined CBD’s effects on inflammation and pain. It found that using CBD for gout can provide relief for inflammation and pain related to arthritis without seeing any side effects.
Furthermore, CBD can relieve gout symptoms that are caused by being overweight. Research has shown that cannabidiol can turn white fat that leads to obesity into brown fat which helps burn excess calories. Using a THC-free CBD can also decrease appetite.
How to Treat Gout
If you leave gout untreated, it can become chronic resulting in lumps known as Tophi. These lumps can form in your joints, tissue, and skin. It could also cause kidney damage.
There are several ways to treat gout.
- Anti-inflammatory medication such as aspirin or ibuprofen
- Corticosteroid medications such as prednisone
- Limiting intake of alcoholic beverages and drinks with fruit sugar (fructose)
- Increase water intake
- Avoid foods high in purines such as red meat and seafood
- Regular exercise
- Using an all-natural CBD oil
How to Know How Much CBD is Right for You
If you choose to use CBD for gout, it helps to know how much is the right amount. Some products will tell you how much CBD is in a single serving. Several variables help determine how much CBD to use.
- Your body weight
- Your metabolism
- CBD concentrate of your product (oil, gummy, inhaler, etc.)
- Other medications you’re taking
You’ll notice that CBD products have different strengths or potencies and will often recommend a dose on the label. You’ll see figures like 100 mg, 500 mg, and 1,000 mg. This shows the amount of cannabinoids in the product. Of course, the more milligrams of CBD, the more effective. If you're new to CBD, you probably want to start with a low-dose product.
Given that several factors play a role in figuring out your CBD dosage, it isn’t one size fits all. Start small and monitor the results. Gradually increase as needed. It can be helpful to keep track of your dosage and the results. This will help you determine the right amount for you.
When and How Often to Take CBD
As with dosage, time and frequency depend on the individual. CBD can be taken in the morning, at night, or throughout the day considering how it affects you. You may prefer to take it at bedtime or right before you go to sleep. Keep in mind that a THC-free product isn’t known to cause side effects so it shouldn’t cause drowsiness or keep you up at night.
As for how often to take CBD for gout, this is up to you. As we mentioned, start small. Maybe take a little bit in the morning and give it time to work. Then, decide if you need more later in the day.
With time, you’ll know when and how often you should take it.
Common Ways to Take CBD to Treat Gout
There are several ways to take CBD depending on what you’re trying to target and personal preferences.
CBD oil tinctures are liquids you take using a dropper. You can do it sublingually (under the tongue) or add it to a beverage. Putting CBD under the tongue allows it to enter the bloodstream to work more quickly.
CBD oil can be taken via a pill or capsule. This method helps to ensure intake of a consistent dose. Pills or capsules have to pass through the digestive tract so it can take up to an hour to work.
CBD topicals such as lotions, soaps, and roll-on sticks are applied directly to the skin. This option is great for working to provide gout relief fast.
CBD edibles like gummies are ideal for relief on the go. They’re discreet and oftentimes flavored to taste good. They may take up to a couple of hours to kick in.
Types of CBD
When you’re purchasing your CBD product, you’ll notice a few different types of oils.
- Full-spectrum CBD: made up of all Cannabis plant compounds including THC (.3% or less in order to be legal)
- Broad-spectrum CBD: consists of almost all Cannabis plant compounds but THC-free
- Isolate CBD: made of pure Cannabidiol; 99% CBD and 0% THC
CBD products with THC may cause side effects such as sleepiness. If you’d prefer using a THC-free product, check out BoomBoom all natural CBD products.
Gout is a form of arthritis. It can show no symptoms or it can be extremely painful. Symptoms can also come and go.
Since arthritis symptoms such as pain and inflammation appear to be relieved by cannabinoids, CBD for gout can be a possible treatment. Although more research is required to say that CBD is a definite treatment for gout, many users find relief.